- January 22, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Blog
While most organizations have heard of Configuration Management (CM), but very few can explain why it’s imperative to have robust configuration management teams and processes in place. Whether you use a traditional software development process such as Waterfall or some other agile methodology, CM is essential to maintain user satisfaction and develop a quality product. In short, effective configuration management helps track and process obsolete builds while streamlining the release process.
Lyra’s Software Configuration Management (SCM) services help organizations establish CM at the very beginning of the software development life cycle (SDLC) — a boon for any organization. Let’s understand how. By integrating configuration management early on, organizations can expect consistency in a product’s performance, functional, and physical attributes. Understandably, without CM, it would be difficult to control documentation, source code, and other data that define your software systems.
Lyra’s extensive expertise has enabled multiple organizations to adopt CM seamlessly. Here are 10 steps by which our software configuration management services can help you ensure successful CM adoption:
- Identify configuration items (CIs) based on several criteria such as system allocation, application functionality, data requirement, cost, and schedule, etc
- Determine suitable development methodology for the software system
- Specify required documentation for each product based on the contract requirements and standards
- Set up configuration control library to provide complete operational control
- Set up a change management process to expedite critical modifications
- Issue numbers and identifiers for each product and related documentation
- Prioritize planned functional releases based on architectural needs
- Establish configuration baselines for increased management and control over release processes
- Set up QA and test validation that complement your CM requirements and eliminate bottlenecks of the development process
- Provide ongoing SCM consultation for continuous CM implementation, evaluation of success, and training on effective application
Our SCM services help you be in charge of the entire SDLC — from version control and build management to deployment & continuous integration. While DevOps may be taking the IT world by the storm, SCM is riding it.
If you want a version control system that promotes data integrity and supports distributed, non-linear workflows, what you’re looking for is the oldest yet most reliable tool in SCM technology — Git. However, migrating from a centralized version control system to Git alters development workflow and transforms the way development teams create software. This can impact your entire business. Naturally, every IT company that relies on software for mission-critical applications needs to collaborate with the right partner to manage projects with speed and efficiency.
Lyra’s Software Configuration Management services help organizations integrate Git into their systems in a hassle-free manner. Our robust SCM services tackle multiple Git-adoption challenges and align developer preferences with organization needs as seamlessly as possible.
Lyra’s SCM team recommends the following 7 best practices when adapting Git into the organizational framework:
- Process Workflow
- Focus on your branching strategy with an emphasis on defined steps and automating the code flow
- Integrate reviews into the branching strategy
- Provide all the teams, tools best-suited to their needs to maximize productivity
- Assemble all content in a single version management tool
- Use a Git management suite that not only handles source code but also manages digital assets
- Always archive old content to make working repositories easier to use
- Ongoing delivery
- Adopt a Git management solution with support for narrow clones and shallow clones equipped with head revisions to ease server load
- Choose the right build cycle time as per your project requirements
- Automate code merging as frequently as possible for greater integration
- Support and Reliability
- Craft a disaster recovery plan and verify it regularly
- Go for a Git management solution that offers both clustering and high availability to ensure 24/7 work-ability
- Select a Git management solution that supplies access control to the maximum necessary granularity for your security needs
- Organize your content beforehand so that critical files are together; this helps simplify the process of providing restricted access to users
- Choose a Git management solution with an active and timely monitoring feature so that you can report questionable behavior of a user before you lose IP
- Repository Management
- When reviewing content and choosing a solution, consider whether your DevOps can engage in repository management
- Use a Git management solution that avoids Git sprawl to the extent possible
- Visibility and Traceability
- Assess your information priorities and determine critical metrics
- Investigate tools and techniques for aggregating data as needed
- Partner with a vendor that can provide both, custom metrics and broad integration with other tools for optimized outputs
With Lyra’s expert SCM services, enterprises can identify and select an effective Git management solution best-suited to their needs and minimize roadblocks in the long term. Engage with us, to not only leverage an efficient software development tool — Git but also build together an agile business in the long run. So get in touch with us right away!