Be in Compliance With Open Source License Obligations & Protect Your IP!
Open source is being used almost everywhere today but companies are aware that they have to meet certain obligations when they are actually distributing open-source software. That is why the need for open source license compliance has gained importance in recent years. There are laws established for using open source licenses, but most developers are in the dark. Being aware of the open-source disclosures for a product and if your organization is compliant with license obligations is key.
Companies or organizations that do not have a strong open source compliance program often suffer from errors and limitations in processes throughout the software development cycle which can lead to open source compliance failures.
Gartner reported through a survey that ” 95% of mainstream IT organizations leverage nontrivial open-source software assets within their mission-critical IT portfolios — whether they know it or not.”
This growth in open source usage will increase complexity in your code thus making it more necessary to ensure the use of approved and supported code. However, in the same Gartner survey, only 1/3 of the participants said they had a policy set in place for open source software license compliance, management, use, and purchases.
This lack of effective open source license management and compliance can expose your organization to critical legal and business risks through code that contains known security vulnerabilities; which is not properly licensed; includes errors that are expensive and takes time to fix or does not even comply with your standard corporate procedures and policies. Take the case of Ameriprise or Cokinetic suing Panasonic Aviation or even Google’s Anti-trust lawsuit.
That is why Open Source Compliance has become so important for companies. Lyra’s single integrated solution for OSS License Compliance and Vulnerability risk/open source security makes it easy to find vulnerabilities and re-mediate associated risk, while you build your products during the complete life-cycle. Lyra can empower organizations to take the reins and manage the open-source software and third-party components. You can quickly scan products for intellectual property and compliance risk. Setting the foundation for license compliance, IP protection, and best in class open-source software management.
How can we help you with Open Source Compliance?
- Discover and track and manage all open source: In source code, binaries, software packages, containers, build dependencies, subcomponents, copy-pasted code, commercial code, modified and partial open source components, etc.
- Identify Open Source vulnerabilities: Help you detect open source security vulnerabilities in your open-source code.
- Reduce Remediation Cost: By identifying vulnerabilities early in the software development lifecycle.
- Hardcore Analysis: Patented scan and package analysis flexibility varying from high-level to drilling down into a detailed analysis of any code.
- Manage Open source license compliance risk: Manage risks related to your open source licenses effectively.
- Set and Enforce Policies: Automate the Open source approval process and set usage and remediation guidance.
- Proactive and Continuous Monitoring: Actionable alerts via email for newly discovered vulnerabilities in current and shipped open source assets.
- Implement a formal OSS strategy: Help you tailor and implement a well planned OSS strategy.
Most companies today have more open source compliance issues than they are aware of. Work with us to get a complete overview. We’ll show you all evidence of open source in your code.